I know homemade lotion seems a little daunting. Sort of like running your first marathon. Or knitting your first scarf. You’re scared of leg cramps. Or getting permanently trapped in a giant tangle of sage-colored yarn.
But DIY moisturizer isn’t that difficult, I swear. All you need is a good recipe and know-how.
Why make your own DIY lotion?
Commercial lotions are basically the dumping grounds for personal care ingredients. They’re usually full of artificial fragrances and preservatives that are not only questionable, but honestly unnecessary.
You can either be hyper-vigilant at deciphering ingredients (who has time for that??), or you can take a note from the hippy handbook and make your own.
It’s actually a lot more fun than you think! And believe it or not, it actually takes up less time than becoming an ingredient ninja.
(Says the woman who will sometimes spend 15 minutes in the beauty aisle looking at labels. Which is really just an elaborate technique in self-sabotage. Because no one — no one — comes away from that aisle feeling optimistic about the world. I admit: that’s a bad habit that needs fixin’ — I’m working on it. I promise.)
40+ Homemade Lotion Recipes to Try
I wanted to build a resource for you to access pretty much all of the amazing DIY lotion recipes you could ever need. Trust me, you will fall in love with one of these concoctions (if not many more!).
Obviously, not every lotion recipe is right for everybody. That’s why I wanted to gather a HUGE stock of lotion recipes in one easy-to-access page, so you can find the right lotion for you.
So whether you need a non-greasy formula, something uber simple, a sunscreen lotion, lotion bars, or anything in between, there is a DIY lotion recipe here for you. Give one a whirl and let me know what you think!
1. All-Natural Homemade Lotion from Wellness Mama
2. Nourishing hand and body cream from Whole New Mom
3. Homemade moisturizer with no coconut oil by Live Simply
4. Non-greasy hand and body moisturizer by DIY Natural
5. Insanely easy whipped body butter by… me! 😉
(This is the recipe that started my crazy DIY adventure that led to things like homemade lip balm and other wacky ideas.)
6. 3-ingredient super easy DIY homemade lotion by Mommypotamus
7. Lavender-chamomile sleepytime lotion by Everyday Roots
(I’m thinking this will be perfect for the kids after bath time in the evening, right?)
8. Non-greasy shea butter lotion by Life from the Ground Up
9. Super easy hard lotion bars by Common Sense Home
(These are SO easy to travel with.)
10. Healthy vanilla homemade lotion by Fit As a Mama Bear
(Vanilla. One word says it all. Don’t buy into the fake and toxic vanilla scents at the store — go for the real stuff!)
11. Easy shea butter and olive oil moisturizer by Detoxinista
12. Cooling aloe-mint lotion by GI 365
(I want to try this. Like right now.)
13. DIY homemade eczema cream by Kula Mama
14. “Good Night” homemade lotion by Modern Alternative Mama
15. Dandelion citrus lotion bars by The Soft Landing
16. How to make easy homemade lotion from A Sonoma Garden
17. Lightweight, non-greasy summer lotion by Delicious Obsessions
18. Homemade lotion for leg cramps and growing pains by The Nerdy Farm Wife
19. Easy homemade lotion tutorial by The Girl’s Guide to Guns and Butter
20. Lavender lotion bars by Gourmande in the Kitchen
21. 2,000-year-old lotion recipe that really works by Daily Health Post
(Hey, why argue with time-tested remedies?)
22. Coconut-vanilla face lotion bars by Don’t Waste the Crumbs
23. Wild rose and honey hand cream by Lovely Greens
(This just looks so luxurious, doesn’t it?)
24. Homemade calamine lotion from Real Food RN
(For when you itch. Because then you just NEED it.)
25. Homemade shaving lotion from Little House Living
26. Cooling food cream recipe by Primally Inspired
(Your feet will thank you.)
27. Orange honey lotion bars from Thank Your Body
28. Easy, pump-able DIY lotion from Measuring Flower
(I mean, ALL that lotion. I just have to try this.)
29. Homemade winter lotion by Frugally Sustainable
(Because you know what winter does to your skin.)
30. DIY homemade lotion for severely dry, sensitive skin by Creatively Southern
(For skin that needs extra, extra, extra moisture. You know who you are.)
31. Homemade face lotion from Coco’s Well
32. Solid Lotion Bar Hearts from….me!
These are PERFECT gifts for Valentine’s day, but I also use them all year long.
33. Homemade calendula cream by Grow Forage Cook Ferment
(This herbal wonder is amazing for needy skin — you know: the sensitive, irritated type that needs extra attention. Kind of like “high-needs” skin. It just needs more love.)
34. 2 ingredient scented lotion from Living on a Dime
35. Complete homemade lotion tutorial by Soap Queen
(Because my blender stick wasn’t awesome enough already. Now it can make my lotion too!)
36. All natural homemade tinted moisturizer by Don’t Waste the Crumbs
37. Oatmeal, cocoa butter, honey, milk lotion by Mom Photographer
(This is a skin-soothing masterpiece. All those with irritated, sensitive skin: make time for this recipe this week. You will love it.)
38. Mint and green tea whipped body butter by Saved by Grace
(Mint: awesome. Green tea: awesome. Therefore this body butter must be double awesome, right?)
39. DIY crockpot lotion by Passion for Savings
(Again, right when you thought your crockpot was the awesomest gadget — now you know it can make lotion, too!)
40. Coconut cream pump lotion recipe by Fresh Picked Beauty
(I mean, there’s no going wrong with coconut, am I right??)
Whew! That was a LOT of DIY lotion recipes. Did you find one you want to try yet? I think I’m ready to try a pump-able recipe. I’ve typically gone the body butter direction in the past, but maybe I’m ready to step it up and go big. How about you?
More of our best DIY beauty ideas:
- The Best Essential Oils for Your Skin Type
- 20+ Gorgeous Sugar Scrub Recipes
- DIY Whipped Coconut Oil Body Butter
- How to Use Coconut Oil for Acne
- Homemade Mouthwash for Remineralizing/Whitening Teeth
- DIY Hand Scrub Recipe
- 200+ DIY Beauty Recipe for every occasion
- DIY Rosehip Face Serum Recipe
Elizabeth is the founder and creative director at The Nourished Life. Her mission is to help people find a more balanced (less stressful!) approach to living a happy, healthy life. Read more about Elizabeth here.