Homemade moisturizer might seem too scary to try, but seriously: DIY lotion is much easier to make than you think. All you need is a good recipe and some how-to.
Why make your own DIY lotion?
Commercial lotions are usually full of artificial fragrances and preservatives that are not only questionable, but honestly unnecessary.
So instead of obsessing over ingredients and overpaying for greenwashed products – why not make your own lotion instead?
It’s actually a lot more fun than you think!
And believe it or not, it actually takes up less time than becoming an ingredient ninja (who wants to spend all that time in the lotion aisle examing labels, anyway??).
40+ Homemade Lotion Recipes to Try
I wanted to build a resource for you to access pretty much all of the amazing DIY lotion and moisturizer recipes you could ever need.
Obviously, not every lotion recipe is right for everybody. That’s why I wanted to gather a HUGE stock of lotion recipes in one easy-to-access page, so you can find the right lotion for you.
Trust me, you will fall in love with one of these concoctions (if not several!). W
hether you need a non-greasy formula, something whipped, a sunscreen lotion, lotion bars, or anything in between, there is a DIY lotion recipe here for you.
Give one a whirl and let me know what you think!
1. All-Natural Homemade Lotion from Wellness Mama
2. Nourishing hand and body cream from Whole New Mom
3. Homemade moisturizer with no coconut oil by Live Simply
4. Non-greasy hand and body moisturizer by DIY Natural
5. Insanely easy DIY whipped body butter by… me! 😉
(This is the famous recipe that started my crazy DIY adventure that led to things like homemade lip balm and other wacky ideas.)
6. 3-ingredient super easy DIY homemade lotion by Mommypotamus
7. Lavender-chamomile sleepytime lotion by Everyday Roots
(I’m thinking this will be perfect for the kids after bath time in the evening, right?)
8. Non-greasy DIY shea butter lotion by Life from the Ground Up
9. Super easy hard lotion moisturizer bars by Common Sense Home
(These are SO easy to travel with.)
10. Healthy vanilla homemade lotion by Fit As a Mama Bear
(Vanilla. One word says it all. Don’t buy into the fake and toxic vanilla scents at the store — go for the real stuff!)
11. Easy shea butter and olive oil moisturizer recipe by Detoxinista
12. Cooling aloe-mint lotion by Get Inspired Every Day
(I want to try this. Like right now.)
13. DIY homemade eczema cream by Kula Mama
14. “Good Night” homemade lotion recipe by Modern Alternative Mama
15. Dandelion citrus lotion bars by The Soft Landing
16. How to make easy homemade lotion from A Sonoma Garden
17. Lightweight, non-greasy summer lotion by Delicious Obsessions
18. Homemade lotion for leg cramps and growing pains by The Nerdy Farm Wife
19. Soothing Rosacea Cream Recipe by The Nourished Life
20. Lavender lotion moisturizing bars by Gourmande in the Kitchen
21. 2,000-year-old lotion recipe that really works by Daily Health Post
(Hey, why argue with time-tested remedies?)
22. Coconut-vanilla face DIY lotion bars by Don’t Waste the Crumbs
23. Wild rose and honey hand cream by Lovely Greens
24. Homemade calamine lotion from Real Food RN
(For itchy skin, this lotion is a miracle.)
25. Homemade Shaving Lotion + Cream with Witch Hazel by The Nourished Life
26. Cooling food cream recipe by Primally Inspired
(Your feet will thank you.)
27. Orange honey lotion bars from Thank Your Body
28. Easy, pump-able DIY lotion from Measuring Flower
(I mean, ALL that lotion. I just have to try this.)
29. Homemade winter moisturizer by Frugally Sustainable
(Because you know what winter does to your skin.)
30. DIY homemade lotion for severely dry, sensitive skin by Creatively Southern
(For skin that needs extra, extra, extra moisture. You know who you are.)
31. Homemade face lotion from Coco’s Well
32. DIY Solid Lotion Bar Hearts from….me!
(These are PERFECT gifts for Valentine’s day, but I also use them all year long.)
33. Homemade calendula cream by Grow Forage Cook Ferment
(This herbal wonder is amazing for needy skin — you know: the sensitive, irritated type that needs extra attention. Kind of like “high-needs” skin. It just needs more love.)
34. 2 ingredients scented lotion from Living on a Dime
35. Complete homemade lotion tutorial by Soap Queen
(Because my blender stick wasn’t awesome enough already. Now it can make my lotion too!)
36. All natural homemade tinted moisturizer by Don’t Waste the Crumbs
37. Oatmeal, cocoa butter, honey, milk lotion by Mom Photographer
(This is a skin-soothing masterpiece. All those with irritated, sensitive skin: make time for this lotion recipe this week. You will love it.)
38. Mint and green tea whipped body butter by Saved by Grace
(Mint: awesome. Green tea: awesome. Therefore this DIY body butter must be double awesome, right?)
39. DIY crockpot lotion by Passion for Savings
(Again, right when you thought your crockpot was the most awesome gadget — now you find out it can make lotion, too!)
40. Coconut cream pump lotion recipe by Fresh Picked Beauty
(I mean, there’s no going wrong with coconut for a yummy-smelling DIY moisturizer, am I right??)
Which DIY moisturizer will you try?
Whew! That was a LOT of DIY lotion recipes. Did you find one you want to try yet?
I think I’m ready to try a pump-able recipe. I’ve typically gone the body butter direction in the past, but maybe I’m ready to step it up and go big. How about you?
More of our best DIY beauty ideas:
- The Best Essential Oils for Your Skin Type
- 20+ Gorgeous Sugar Scrub Recipes
- DIY Whipped Coconut Oil Body Butter
- How to Use Coconut Oil for Acne
- Homemade Mouthwash for Remineralizing/Whitening Teeth
- DIY Hand Scrub Recipe
- 200+ DIY Beauty Recipe for every occasion
- DIY Rosehip Face Serum Recipe