I require a lot out of my homemade mouthwash recipe. It needs to be minty, all-natural, whiten, & help remineralize my teeth. Here’s the recipe that actually does it all.
What makes the perfect homemade mouthwash?
I’ll admit: I require a lot out of my homemade mouthwash. All the artificial sweeteners and chemical additives in conventional mouthwash are a no-no in my book, but often “natural” mouthwash brands still don’t make the cut.
Either they aren’t really so natural, not very effective, or insanely expensive. Or they burn like unholy fire. Or sometimes all of the above.
For a couple of years, I’ve been perfecting my own homemade mouthwash recipe.
Scroll down for the recipe, or check out the “why” behind all the ingredients below:
What I Look for in a Homemade Mouthwash
1. It must be minty. First and foremost – mouthwash should fight bad breath! But I never went for the whole citrus mouthwash fad – and the herbal ones that taste like a snake oil remedy from 1894 aren’t my cup of tea either. Of course, with homemade mouthwash, you get to choose the flavor – so it works no matter what you prefer.
2. It must be (a little) sweet. A touch of sweetness makes the whole mouthwash experience a little more pleasant. This is optional, so you can add more or less stevia, or opt out of it altogether if you’d like.
3. It should remineralize. Ideally, our saliva “bathes” our teeth in minerals to restore what might be lost through eating, drinking, and everyday life – this is how you keep your enamel strong. Internal imbalances can interfere with this process (which is discussed in the book Cure Tooth Decay). I include specific minerals in this mouthwash recipe to help boost your saliva’s natural remineralizing process.
4. It should whiten. My teeth are battling coffee, chocolate, blueberries, tea, wine… they can use any extra whitening power they can get! This mouthwash is gently whitening to help fight everyday stains.
5. It should protect from cavities. All of the above measures help clean your mouth to prevent cavities from forming. You can also add 1/4 cup of vodka alcohol if you like a “bite” to your mouthwash – and this will also help kill bacteria in your mouth.
With these five pillars in mind, I created my unique DIY mouthwash recipe below:
Ready to learn more about essential oils? Start my FREE SUPER SIMPLE 9-STEP EMAIL COURSE to start learning – without all the stress! I focus on the absolute essentials (pun totally intended, haha) and keep everything simple. That way you can learn what you need without information overload! Start my free course now.
How to Make Homemade Mouthwash
- 2 teaspoons calcium carbonate powder
- 10 drops of liquid stevia
- 10 drops concentrated trace minerals liquid
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops lemon essential oil
- 2 cups of filtered water
- 1/4 vodka alcohol (optional)
- In a large glass mixing cup, stir together the calcium powder and stevia.
- Add liquid minerals and essential oils. “Swirl” around until essential oils are absorbed into the calcium powder.
- Add water and stir.
- Pour mixture into a glass bottle (I reused an old apple cider vinegar bottle).
- Close the lid tightly and shake ingredients together for about 30-60 seconds.
- Shake well before using.
- Use as needed 1-2 times daily for 30 seconds.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks (this is a safety precaution, but I typically just leave mine on the bathroom counter without any problems).
Why These Ingredients?
- Calcium carbonate powder: for remineralizing teeth
- Stevia: for sweetness without sugar (optional)
- Concentrated trace minerals liquid: for remineralizing teeth
- Peppermint essential oil: for flavor and fresh breath
- Lemon essential oil: for whiter, brighter teeth
- Vodka alcohol: for that mouthwash “kick” plus germ-fighting ability
Love It? Hate It? Need Some Help?
Have you tried this recipe? Do you have your own tips for making homemade whitening mouthwash?
If you have a question or comment, I’d love to hear from you! Share your thoughts in the comments section below this post.
More Articles for Healthy, White Teeth (the Natural Way!)
- Try this Black Oil to Naturally Whiten Teeth – It Really Works!
- Natural Whitening Toothpaste Recipe with Activated Charcoal
Elizabeth is the founder of The Nourished Life and has been writing about natural living for 12 years. Her work has been featured at Shape, Bustle, and Mother Earth Living. Her mission is to help you lower your stress levels and find fun ways to become happier and healthier. Read more about Elizabeth here.