What makes the perfect homemade mouthwash?
For better or worse, I require a lot out of my homemade mouthwash. All the artificial sweeteners and chemical additives in conventional mouthwash are a no-no in my book, but often “natural” mouthwash brands fall short for me too.
Either they aren’t so natural, not really effective, or insanely expensive. Or they burn like unholy fire.
For a couple of years, I’ve been perfecting my own homemade mouthwash recipe.
But first, check out the “why” behind my mouthwash ingredients:
What I Look for in a Homemade Mouthwash:
1. It must be minty. I never went for the whole citrus mouthwash fad–and the herbal ones that taste like a snake oil remedy from 1894 aren’t my cup of tea either. Of course, if you like others flavors of homemade mouthwash, then making it homemade gives you the option of choosing whatever flavor you like (using essential oils), so that’s awesome, too.
2. It must be (a little) sweet. No sickeningly sweet flavor is necessary, of course, but a touch of sweetness makes the whole mouthwash experience a little more pleasant. Again, this is optional, so depending on your personal preference, you can choose the level of sweetness you prefer in your homemade mouthwash (or opt to go for none at all).
3. It should remineralize. Ideally, our saliva “bathes” our teeth in minerals to restore what might be lost through eating, drinking, and everyday life. Imbalances can interfere with the process (which is discussed in the book Cure Tooth Decay), so I feel like it doesn’t hurt to use a mouthwash that serves as a sort of backup.
4. It should whiten. Hey, I admit I like a nice bright smile. But I don’t like to use icky whitening kits that burn my gums and contain who-knows-what. I also prefer something that does a little whitening every day, instead of having to worry about something I need to do on a weekly or monthly basis. Because, let’s face it, I’ll just forget!
5. It should protect from cavities. Again, this is just a protective measure. As Weston A. Price reported so thoroughly in his book Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, diet has a tremendous impact on our dental health. But I still don’t mind having a mouthwash that works in my favor, if that makes sense.
So with these five requirements in mind, I fiddled with ingredients until I found a recipe that tastes good and does what I want it to do.
Here’s what I’ve come up with:
How to Make Homemade Mouthwash that Whitens and Remineralizes
- 2 teaspoons calcium carbonate powder
- 10 drops of liquid stevia
- 10 drops concentrated trace minerals liquid
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops lemon essential oil
- 5 drops spearmint essential oil
- 2 cups of filtered water
- In a large glass mixing cup, stir together the calcium powder and stevia.
- Add liquid minerals and essential oils.
- Add water and stir.
- Pour mixture into a glass bottle (I reused an old apple cider vinegar bottle).
- Close the lid tightly and shake ingredients together for about 30-60 seconds.
- Shake well before using.
- Use as needed 1-2 times daily for 30-60 seconds.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks (this is a safety precaution, but I typically just leave mine on the bathroom counter without any problems).
Why These Ingredients?
Calcium carbonate powder: for remineralizing teeth
Stevia: for sweetness without sugar (optional)
Concentrated trace minerals liquid: for remineralizing teeth
Peppermint essential oil: for flavor and fresh breath
Lemon essential oil: for whiter, brighter teeth
Spearmint essential oil: for flavor and fresh breath
Love It? Hate It? Need Some Help?
Have you tried this recipe?
Do you have your own tips for making homemade mouthwash?
If you have a question or comment, I’d love to hear from you! Share your thoughts in the comments section below this post.
More Articles for Healthy, White Teeth (the Natural Way!)
- Try this Black Oil to Naturally Whiten Teeth – It Really Works!
- How Eggshells Can Naturally Heal Your Cavities and More
- How to Stop Tooth Decay
- Oil Pulling with Activated Charcoal for Whiter Teeth
Join My FREE Essential Oil eCourse:
Love this post? Pin it below!
- 4 Easy Honey Face Mask Recipes (for Acne, Dry Skin + More) - June 17, 2018
- How to Get Healthy Hair, Keep Hair Healthy + Make Hair Stronger… Naturally - June 5, 2018
- How to Make a Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie (in a Cast Iron Pan) - June 5, 2018
- How to Make DIY Lip Balm for $0.60 Each - May 29, 2018
- 83 Healthy Popsicle Recipes (Creamsicles, Chocolate Popsicles and More!) - May 14, 2018