This simple homemade lip balm recipe is doable for everyone – and super cost effective. You can make it for less than $0.60 per tube, even with organic ingredients!
When I first learned how to make lip balm, I was immediately surprised at how easy it actually was. I pictured someone in a lab coat concocting a magic potion of sorts for chapped lips.
Why DIY Lip Balm is Awesome
First of all, I’m one of those people who carries a tube of lip balm on me everywhere I go. It’s a habit I picked up in the third grade and just never let it go.
So I couldn’t imagine that something so constant and necessary in my life could be so… simple.
In fact, I could make DIY lip balm with as few as two ingredients!
So when I realize how simple it is, what do I do? I make a whole year’s worth of homemade lip balm at once, of course!
I gave up conventional lip balm years ago when I started switching over to more natural products.
I’ve been opting for the chic organic stuff with pretty pictures and feel-good promises on the label.
But who am I kidding? That stuff is not cheap!
And considering how much lip balm I go through (did I mention my daughter loves it too? I’m telling myself the habit is genetic), price is a factor.
The good news is homemade lip balm is quite wallet-friendly.
When I added up the amount of each ingredient I used to make this lip balm recipe, it worked out to as little as 60 cents a tube (depending on whether you use essential oils or powder for tinting).
If you buy your ingredients in bulk, it can be even less!
My Tips for How to Make Lip Balm
Maybe it’s just me – but I don’t like to apply homemade lip balm with my fingers. They invented those handy little tubes for a reason!
So if you’re like me, grab yourself a handful of empty lip balm tubes before you get started.
I ordered a pack of 25 (which was just about right for this recipe). The more you order, the cheaper they get.
The next handy gadget I highly recommend for this lip balm recipe project is a little stainless steel funnel – this little baby will make the whole job much easier.
I tried a dropper and boy did that thing clog up fast! I will go with the funnel from now on.
If any of the liquid hardens and starts to clog up the funnel, you can easily use a toothpick to fix that (trust me, that doesn’t work with a dropper!).
If you want to have some fun, add a little natural color to your DIY lip balm!
Of course I had fun and added some of my favorite essential oils for scent and therapeutic benefits!
My favorite was lavender, which supports healthy skin and is great if your lips tend to get cracked or dry.
(Careful wearing citrus lip balms in the sun – citrus oils can cause photosensitivity.)
NOTE: Some essential oils (such as cinnamon and clove) need to be diluted more or they can irritate the skin. I advise avoiding stronger essential oils in this recipe just to be safe.
NOTE #2: I ONLY recommend high-quality essential oils to add a nice scent (and therapeutic benefits) to your DIY lip balm.
Remember, some of what goes on your lips ends up in your mouth! That is NOT the place for artificial fragrances and flavors.
Lip Balm Recipe: How to Make it at Home for $0.60 Per Tube!
- 6 tablespoons organic coconut oil olive oil or shea butter are also good choices
- 2 tablespoons beeswax granules
- 1 1/2 teaspoons organic beet root powder or hibiscus powder** for tint optional
- 30 drops of your favorite essential oils optional – here’s where I order my essential oils
- Put the coconut oil (Cocos Nucifera Oil) and beeswax (Cera Alba) in a double boiler over medium heat
- Stir until emollient has melted together
- Add essentials oils (my favorite is Lavandula Angustifolia!) and tint powder (Beta vulgaris)
- Fully mix in until the salve is consistent.
- Turn off the stove and carefully pour the liquid into each lip balm tube. The mixture can harden quickly, so don’t be too slow about it.
- Let the mixture cool for about an hour, before using as a regular lip balm.
More of our favorite all-natural DIY recipes:
- The Best Essential Oils for Your Skin Type
- 20+ Gorgeous Sugar Scrub Recipes
- DIY Whipped Coconut Oil Body Butter
- How to Use Coconut Oil for Acne
- Homemade Mouthwash for Remineralizing/Whitening Teeth
- DIY Hand Scrub Recipe
- DIY Coffee Body Scrub for Luscious Legs
Ready to learn more about essential oils? Start my FREE SUPER SIMPLE 9-STEP EMAIL COURSE to start learning – without all the stress! I focus on the absolute essentials (pun totally intended, haha) and keep everything simple.
That way you can learn what you need without information overload! Start my free course now!