When I first learned how to make lip balm, I was immediately surprised at how easy it actually was. I pictured someone in a lab coat concocting a magic potion of sorts for chapped lips.
First of all, I’m one of those people who carries a tube of lip balm on me everywhere I go. It’s a habit I picked up in the third grade and just never let it go. So I couldn’t imagine that something so constant and necessary in my life could be so… simple.
In fact, I could make DIY lip balm with as few as two ingredients!
So when I realize how simple it is, what do I do? I make a whole year’s worth of homemade lip balm at once, of course!
I gave up conventional lip balm years ago when I started switching over to more natural products. I’ve been opting for the chic organic stuff with pretty pictures and feel-good promises on the label.
But who am I kidding? That stuff is not cheap!
And considering how much lip balm I go through (did I mention my daughter loves it too? I’m telling myself the habit is genetic), price is a factor. The good news is homemade lip balm is quite wallet-friendly.
When I added up the amount of each ingredient I used to make this lip balm recipe, it worked out to as little as 60 cents a tube (depending on whether you use essential oils or powder for tinting). If you buy your ingredients in bulk, it can be even less!
My Tips for How to Make Lip Balm
Maybe it’s just me – but I don’t like to apply homemade lip balm with my fingers. They invented those handy little tubes for a reason! So if you’re like me, grab yourself a handful of empty lip balm tubes before you get started. I ordered a pack of 25 (which was just about right for this recipe). The more you order, the cheaper they get.
The next handy gadget I highly recommend for this lip balm recipe project is a little stainless steel funnel – this little baby will make the whole job much easier. I tried a dropper and boy did that thing clog up fast! I will go with the funnel from now on. If any of the liquid hardens and starts to clog up the funnel, you can easily use a toothpick to fix that (trust me, that doesn’t work with a dropper!).
If you want to have some fun, add a little natural color to your DIY lip balm! I used beet root powder and hibiscus powder to color my homemade lip balm. Use about 1 1/2 teaspoons of powder if you want to color this whole recipe.
Of course I had fun and added some of my favorite essential oils for scent and therapeutic benefits! My favorite was lavender, which supports healthy skin and is great if your lips tend to get cracked or dry. Some ideas for adding essential oils to your lip balm recipe are:
- Orange and cinnamon
- Grapefruit and lime
- Ylang-ylang and geranium
- Peppermint and lavender
(Careful wearing citrus lip balms in the sun – citrus oils can cause photosensitivity.)
NOTE: I ONLY recommend high-quality essential oils to add a nice scent (and therapeutic benefits) to your DIY lip balm. Remember, some of what goes on your lips ends up in your mouth! That is NOT the place for artificial fragrances and flavors.
How to Make Lip Balm (Recipe)
makes about 25 tubes (adjust recipe if you want to make more or less)
- 6 tablespoons organic coconut oil (olive oil or shea butter are also good choices)
- 2 tablespoons beeswax granules
- 1 1/2 teaspoons organic beet root powder or hibiscus powder** for tint (optional)
- 30 drops of your favorite essential oils (optional) – here’s where I order my essential oils
- Melt the coconut oil and beeswax in a double boiler over medium heat, stirring often until it’s all the way melted.
- Add essentials oils and tint powder (if desired).
- Carefully (i.e. slowly!) pour a small amount of the liquid into each tube. The mixture can harden quickly, so don’t be too slow about it.
- Let cool for about an hour and then use as you would regular lip balm!
** PEANUT ALLERGY WARNING: Those with severe peanut allergies should not use hibiscus. Please use caution.
More natural recipes like this:
- DIY Coffee Body Scrub for Luscious Legs
- Dry Skin Salve Recipe with Baobab Oil
- Natural Hair Gel Recipe
- Hair Mask Recipe for Shiny Hair
Love this DIY lip balm recipe? Share on Pinterest!
- 4 Easy Honey Face Mask Recipes (for Acne, Dry Skin + More) - June 17, 2018
- How to Get Healthy Hair, Keep Hair Healthy + Make Hair Stronger… Naturally - June 5, 2018
- How to Make a Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie (in a Cast Iron Pan) - June 5, 2018
- How to Make DIY Lip Balm for $0.60 Each - May 29, 2018
- 83 Healthy Popsicle Recipes (Creamsicles, Chocolate Popsicles and More!) - May 14, 2018