A romantic massage is a great way to bond and spend quality time together as a couple. And it starts with the right massage oil recipe! This DIY sensual massage oil is non-greasy and contains essential oils known for inspiring a romantic mood.
Choosing the Best Carrier Oil for Your Sensual Massage
A good massage oil isn’t heavy or greasy. For a sensual massage, you want a carrier oil that is spreadable and absorbs easily. That way you can enjoy your massage but not feel like an oil slick afterward!
My personal favorite carrier oil for massage is grapeseed oil. It has a silky texture and is easily absorbed into your skin. But here are a few more carrier oils that make great bases for a sensual massage recipe:
- Fractionated coconut oil (the liquid kind – not to be confused with solid coconut oil, which is very heavy)
- Kukui nut oil (very light and thin, but more expensive)
- Sweet almond oil (oily enough to be spreadable, but absorbs quickly so it’s still non-greasy)
Essential Oils with Aphrodisiac Properties
The right essential oils set the mood for a sensual, romantic massage. The ones I use in this recipe are known for their aphrodisiac properties that inspire romance and intimacy.
For this recipe, I chose sandalwood, orange, and ylang-ylang. They’re a perfect blend of earthy, bright, and floral scents for a balanced sensual aroma.
I also added vanilla extract for a touch of sweetness and for its famed aphrodisiac benefits.
Sandalwood Substitution: You can sub the sandalwood with spruce or patchouli essential oils if desired. These are both earthy oils that also awaken the senses and inspire closeness.
Create a Warming Massage Oil
If you’d like a warming version that stimulates circulation and adds a sensation of heat to your massage oil, you can add one of the following essential oils to this recipe (choose only one or the heat might get uncomfortable!):
- 2 drops cinnamon bark essential oil
- 4 drops black pepper essential oil
- 6 drops ginger essential oil
Enjoy this sensual massage oil recipe with these Solid Lotion Bar Hearts for a truly romantic evening.
If you try this sensual massage oil recipe, please rate it below and share it so your friends can enjoy it too! For more of my recipes, remedies, and lifestyle tips, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
DIY Sensual Massage Oil Recipe
- Use a small funnel to pour the grapeseed oil into a bottle that holds at least 4 fluid ounces. (Make sure there's a little room in the top for the other ingredients.)
- Add the vitamin E oil, essential oils, and vanilla extract.
- Tighten the lid onto your bottle, and gently shake the massage oil to mix the ingredients.
- To use your homemade massage oil, simply apply desired amount to skin and massage in as desired. Reapply as needed.
- Store in a dark, cool location. This recipe will keep for at least 6 months.
- For a warming version, add ONE of the following: 2 drops cinnamon bark essential oil or 4 drops black pepper essential oil or 6 drops ginger essential oil.
- The following carrier oils may be used in place of the grapeseed oil: fractionated coconut oil, kukui nut oil, or sweet almond oil.
MORE DIY BEAUTY RECIPES:
- 40+ Coconut Oil Skincare Recipes
- 21 BEST Homemade Sugar Scrub Recipes
- 4 Super Easy Honey Face Mask Recipes
- 40+ Homemade Lotion Recipes
- My Easy DIY Whipped Body Butter Recipe
Elizabeth is the founder of The Nourished Life and has been writing about natural living for 12 years. Her work has been featured at Shape, Bustle, and Mother Earth Living. Her mission is to help you lower your stress levels and find fun ways to become happier and healthier. Read more about Elizabeth here.