This coffee smoothie recipe is absolutely delicious. It’s high in protein, boosts metabolism, helps your skin, hair, and nails; and it is the perfect filling breakfast (all on it’s own!).
The only good habit is an easy habit. That’s my motto and I’m sticking to it.
No, it’s not sexy. No, it’s not what all the gurus say.
But let’s face it, if we were willpower machines, wouldn’t every choice be easy?
But we’re not. Instead, our brains run off little hits of dopamine – which are kind of like little high fives every time we do something we’re proud of. So easy choices = more high fives = a better chance of sticking to a habit long term.
It’s a win-win-win.
So my secret, super easy habit that starts my day off on the right foot?
It’s my coffee smoothie recipe.
You see, I believe it’s the little things we do every day that count the most.
It’s not about a 30-day detox or a 90-day exercise plan. It’s about those small, consistent (yes, even boring) behaviors that happen every day.
Those are the ones that shape who we are and who we become – including whether or not we’re healthy.
And that’s my coffee smoothie.
One of the only habits I can stick to…
For the last six years, I’ve been eating the same easy breakfast almost without exception. Let’s say 9 days out of 10, this is how I start my morning.
Let me say that again – SIX YEARS.
This is coming from the woman who can’t seem to stick with any habit for more than 3 weeks. It’s like I have a 21-day expiration date in the part of my brain that creates new habits. It just says “nope” when I want to stick with something new!
I have pretty much zero willpower. So please do not take this lightly. For me to stick with a habit, it has to be ridiculously easy, rewarding and automatic.
What do I love about this coffee smoothie?
I’ve perfected the recipe over the years into something that nourishes and replenishes me in every way first thing in the morning.
It’s such a strong habit that I don’t even think about it. I wouldn’t forget it any more than I would forget to shower (and trust me, I’m one of those people who never forgets to shower!!).
Here’s another benefit:
When you start the day with one healthy habit, for some reason it’s a lot easier to make healthier choices for the rest of the day, too.
Plus, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, am I right?
Here are a few more reasons this is my go-to breakfast:
- It’s easy. I confess: I don’t always (like never) feel like cooking breakfast. This takes me about 3 minutes to put together once the coffee is brewed. I usually brew it ahead of time to make it even easier.
- It’s a balance of carbs, fat and protein. If you’ve read my book The Nourished Metabolism, then you’ve heard this more than a few times: our bodies love it when we give them a balance of all macronutrients. This coffee smoothie puts it all in a neat little package first thing in the morning.
- It’s easy to digest. My body doesn’t like super heavy food first thing in the morning. This smoothie fills me up, but doesn’t weigh down my digestive system all morning.
- It packs a nutrition punch. Seriously, this coffee smoothie has just about every nutrient you can think of. I believe in eating food that combines the power of energy and nutrients, and this breakfast does just that.
- Protein, protein, protein. I know I’m not alone – it’s hard to get enough protein in every day! I aim for 75-100 grams each day because I’m pretty active. My coffee smoothie usually gets close to 40 grams in one shot. It makes the whole day easier.
- My skin, hair and nails love this drink! Keep reading to see why.
The Secret Ingredients in My Coffee Smoothie
Here are the main ingredients in my famous breakfast smoothie, and why I use them:
Organic, Fair-Trade Coffee
Of course, there is coffee in my coffee smoothie. And while any coffee will do, I like to choose an organic, fair-trade brand that tastes amazing.
What are my favorite choices?
So pick your favorite coffee and make it good! It will lay the foundation for an amazing smoothie.
I opt for the highest quality milk I can find locally. Sometimes it’s organic milk. Sometimes I’m able to spring for raw milk fresh from the farm. I give myself a lot of flexibility in this area.
But this ingredient definitely brings a punch of nutrition to my coffee smoothie, and makes it creamy and delicious, too.
Not into dairy?
You can easily substitute coconut milk or your favorite milk alternative in this recipe.
Raw Egg Yolks
This is one of my super secret powerhouse ingredients.
Egg yolks are a rich source of vitamins, minerals, essential fats, and protein. I notice when I leave these out, my skin starts to look dull and break out after a few days. That’s enough evidence for me!
I use 1-2 raw egg yolks in my morning smoothie. They make it extra creamy, but otherwise I don’t taste them at all.
Why raw egg yolks?
Read about why I eat raw egg yolks here.
Worried about egg yolks and cholesterol? You need to read the latest research here.
This is my other powerhouse secret: collagen protein powder. I use this amazing pasture-raised collagen because it blends easily into my coffee smoothie and comes from a quality source. This makes my smoothie high-protein and very filling.
And as a huge side benefit?
My hair and nails grow like crazy! My hair stylist can’t believe how fast my hair grows and I really have to stay on top of trimming my nails or they get out of hand.
My husband notices the name trend when he makes sure to include collagen in his diet every day (he also says it helps his joints — he does heavy weight training several times a week, so when he notices, it’s a big deal!).
Wondering what collagen to choose?
I’ve tried quite a few brands, and this one is by far my favorite.
Here’s some interesting research on the benefits of collagen if you want to learn why it’s so awesome:
- Supplementing with collagen can improve skin elasticity.
- Collagen can support joint health and exercise recovery.
I need my carbs in the mornings. They are a great source of easily digested energy after a long night of sleep, and fuel for the day ahead.
Worried about your blood sugar?
Since this recipe contains plenty of protein and healthy fat, the carbs don’t adversely affect my blood sugar.
Here are the sweeteners I normally choose:
Coconut oil is my last secret ingredient. It can boost the metabolism and help with weight loss, and is also an important source of lauric acid. All around, I consider coconut oil a super fat that has super benefits!
Using coconut milk instead of dairy?
If you use coconut milk, you don’t need to add any coconut oil to your smoothie, as it will already contain the beneficial fats.
My Secret Coffee Smoothie Recipe
Makes one 16-oz serving
- 6 ounces of fresh brewed coffee
- 4-8 ounces of milk or coconut milk
- 1-2 raw egg yolks
- 2-4 tablespoons collagen
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup (or your preferred sweetener to taste)
- 1-3 teaspoons coconut oil
- Put all your ingredients into a large glass.
- Use a hand blender to blend everything together smoothly. (I use this one and it rocks!)
- You can also throw everything into a traditional blender if needed. Blend until smooth.
Note: If you are adding hot coffee I recommend blending all of the other ingredients first before adding the coffee. Otherwise your egg yolks can get a little cooked, which is a little… yucky.
Put all your ingredients into a large glass.
Use a hand blender to blend everything together smoothly. (I use this one and it rocks!)
You can also throw everything into a traditional blender if needed. Blend until smooth.
Note: If you are adding hot coffee I recommend blending all of the other ingredients first before added the coffee. Otherwise your egg yolks can get cooked, which is a little… yucky.
Did you try and love my secret coffee smoothie recipe? Tell me all about it in the comments below!
Okay, this recipe has gotten a lot of attention since I first posted it. I’ve gotten SO many emails saying how much they love this recipe too. That means so much to me! 🙂
I wanted to come back and update this post with a few FAQs I’ve seen in the comments:
Q: Do I have to add raw egg yolks? I can’t get past the ick factor.
A: No problem! Although egg yolks are nutritious, they aren’t mandatory. Leaving them out can make the whole smoothie a little easier, too. So if you’re seriously short on time, or you just don’t like raw eggs, don’t worry about it.
Q: My coconut oil is all chunky! How do I stop that?
A: It’ll end up chunky if your smoothie is too cool (coconut oil melts at 76 degrees F), or if your blending tool isn’t powerful enough. I suggest making sure your smoothie is at least a little warm if you want your coconut oil to melt completely. You can also leave the coconut oil out if you’d like. You can always get your coconut oil dose at another meal if it works better for you.
Q: Can I substitute almond milk for coconut milk?
Sure thing! Use whatever milk or milk substitute you prefer. Just steer clear of unnecessary additives if you can.
Q: I don’t like coffee. What can I use instead?
A: You don’t like coffee?! I guess it takes all kinds… But seriously, you can try this with tea or hot chocolate instead, but I can’t guarantee the results since I use and love coffee. Like a normal person.
Q: I don’t like coffee or smoothies or anything else in your recipe. Is this really necessary for a healthy metabolism?
A: Of course not! A healthy metabolism is based on a lot of factors I discuss in my book The Nourished Metabolism. One smoothie isn’t the magic fix. But what you eat does matter, and I notice how I start my day makes a big difference. So make your breakfast count, even if you never use this recipe.
More Coffee Posts and Recipes
- Swiss Mocha Coffee Mix Recipe
- 5 Tips for Preventing Coffee Jitters
- Why I Drink Coffee Every Day – and It’s Healthy!
Love this recipe? Pin it for later!
- 50+ Healthy, Easy Blueberry Recipes - July 3, 2018
- Try This Natural Charcoal Teeth Whitening Trick (It Really Works!) - July 1, 2018
- Tons of Fresh Blackberries? 48+ Healthy Blackberry Recipes You’ll Love - June 26, 2018
- How to Prevent Coffee Jitters and Caffeine Anxiety (Without Giving Up Coffee) - June 24, 2018
- 4 Easy Honey Face Mask Recipes (for Acne, Dry Skin + More) - June 17, 2018