I believe in loving your food. Filling it to the brim with flavor. And for me, that meant mastering how to make taco seasoning mix at home from scratch. So that’s what I’ll share with you today.
Why I Make My Own DIY Taco Seasoning Mix
Like most people, my path to finding a homemade taco seasoning recipe began with a packet. Yes, those compact little packets of premixed taco seasoning. The kind with MSG and other things you might not consider part of a nutritious meal.
When I started thinking more about my food choices, those little packets were no longer welcome in my kitchen.
So I opted for overpriced organic seasoning packets instead. Which never quite hit the spot taste-wise. I couldn’t help but think there must be a better way.
And that’s how I ended up at the doorstep of taco seasoning recipes.
How to Make Taco Seasoning Mix
I confess: mixing a bunch of not-quite-random spices is kind of fun — like concocting a potion of sorts. A spicy, flavorful potion. But in all fairness, taco seasoning is pretty simple for something that makes food so awesome.
The best part is being able to customize your recipe to suit your taste. That’s really where the fun comes in.
Need less heat? For a mild taco seasoning mix, cut back on the cayenne. I recommend starting with only 1/8 teaspoon if you like it really mild.
Someone in the family is a big chili pepper fan? Add some more to the mix!
But if you really want to kick your seasoning up a notch, you can’t forget my secret ingredient for the most awesome taco seasoning recipe ever: turmeric.
This is sort of a surprise ingredient, because I didn’t think of adding it till well into my taco seasoning journey. Turmeric is the darling of many health enthusiasts these days, but it also has a rich, earthy flavor that lends a certain complexity to my homemade taco seasoning.
Why Turmeric Belongs in Taco Seasoning Mix
So what’s so special about turmeric?
This powerhouse of a spice has gotten a lot of attention lately — and for good reason. The benefits of turmeric lie in its active compound curcumin.
Curcumin has been studied extensively and shown to have pretty fantastic potential benefits:
- Curcumin may curb your risk of developing diabetes. (source)
- It may also lower your risk of a heart attack. (source)
- It can relieve digestive discomfort. (source)
- Curcumin has demonstrated strong anti-inflammation benefits. (source)
I personally love this turmeric because it’s organic and ground in small batches to make sure it’s super fresh.
Note: This is a naturally gluten-free taco seasoning mix because arrowroot powder contains no gluten. Some recipes use flour that does contain gluten, but luckily you don’t have to worry about that with this mix!
Don’t limit this taco seasoning mix to just tacos. Seriously, think outside the box and your taste buds will thank you:
- Spice up your chicken breasts with one teaspoon per serving.
- Use it on scrambled eggs with sauteed green peppers.
- Sprinkle it on a baked potato with sour cream.
- Try it on my homemade mac and cheese recipe. You won’t regret it.
Don’t forget to rate this recipe below! 🙂
Love this recipe? Try my Cream of Anything Soup Mix Recipe!
DIY Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe with Turmeric
- Stir all ingredients until well blended.
- Store in a tightly closed glass container (a mason jar is always a fine choice).
- Use 1-2 tablespoons of the spice mix per pound of ground meat.
- Brown meat, add 1/4 cup of water or vegetable juice, then add 1-2 tablespoons of taco seasoning mix.
- Simmer for 4-5 minutes until thickened. Stir often.
- Serve with cheese and veggies in taco shells, or sprinkle over salad with avocado and cheese for a healthy dinner.