Does your washing machine stink? Do your clothes suddenly smell… even after they’ve just been washed? Chances are, you need to clean your washing machine! This DIY cleaning powder will do the trick.
“Why does my washing machine stink?”
So why do washing machines develop unpleasant odors in the first place?
Your washing machine has a lot of little spaces that harbor dirt, bacteria, mold, and hard water buildup.
Combine those with high humidity and warmth (which happen a lot around a washing machine), and you’ve got the recipe for stinky smells.
And while you’d think the detergent you use with your laundry would get rid of those problems, it doesn’t get rid of everything. Over time, it adds up – especially in front loaders – and then comes the stink.
Why Citric Acid is the Perfect Washing Machine Cleaner
- Citric acid is the primary ingredient in most of the expensive washing machine cleaning tablets.
- It’s cheaper to buy your own citric acid in bulk and do it yourself!
- Citric acid dissolves away mineral deposits in your washing machine.
- It also removes all soap scum that builds up in the nooks and crannies of your machine.
- Citric acid naturally kills bacteria, mildew, and mold.
- Use this method once a month or anytime your washing machine starts to smell or if your clothes seem like they aren’t getting clean – it works wonders!!
DIY Washing Machine Cleaning Powder
- 1 cup citric acid
- Remove any clothes, debris, or pet hair from your washing machine.
- Add 1 cup of citric acid powder directly to your washing machine basin (this works for both top loader and front loader machines).
- Use the hottest water setting on your machine.
- Run one wash cycle on your machine. (A short cycle is fine as long as it runs for at least 20 minutes).
- That's it! You may use your machine as usual now.
- Repeat monthly or as needed to prevent buildup and odor in your washing machine.
- If you notice your clothes get smelly or there is a musty odor in your washing machine, it's time to do another cleaning.
More Posts Like This
- Homemade “Pedialyte” Electrolyte Drink w/ Orange Juice
- The Best Homemade Granite Cleaner to Shine Your Countertops
- How to Make Lemon Vinegar Cleaner with Lemon Peel
- Homemade DIY Setting Spray for Makeup