Black oil for white teeth? Nope, I’m not kidding! This recipe is perfect for natural teeth whitening. It combines the power of oil pulling with the stain-removing properties of activated charcoal and brightening essential oils for natural, pearly whites.
I used to be obsessed with teeth whitening. I used the gel, the toothpaste, the strips–all of it. My gums would burn, only half my teeth would get whitened, and it was such a pain I’d only subject myself to the obsession every few months.
Over a couple of years, I learned more about natural dental care, and slowly let go of my unhealthy obsession with freaky white teeth. And oil pulling quickly became on of my favorite natural ways to take care of my teeth and gums (read more about oil pulling HERE).
Oil pulling itself leaves my teeth feeling just about as clean as when I walk out of the dentist’s office (sans the sore gums), but I found the stain-lifting power of oil pulling alone to be a little… unexceptional.
Activated charcoal, on the other hand, absorbs everything in sight–including pesky stains from drinking my morning coffee, eating fresh blueberries, and all that good stuff. I’ve tried brushing my teeth with it, but it tends to get pretty messy and the results are understated because I’m only brushing with it for a minute or two. Combining oil pulling with activated charcoal is the winning method for me. Add in a couple of brightening essential oils, and this former-tooth-whitening-maniac is more than pleased.
I swish my black oil about 3-4 times per week, and I love the results! This method leaves teeth a natural, pretty white (not freaky Hollywood white!). What I really like is that all my teeth get some natural whitening–not just the front teeth. Plus my gums are a healthy pink, and I don’t have a problem with plaque build up. Instead of hurting my teeth and gums every time I whiten, I feel like I’m actually improving the healthy of my mouth while getting whiter teeth! It’s a win-win.
Black Oil Recipe for Natural Teeth Whitening
What You’ll Need:
- 1 tablespoon oil (sesame or coconut oil are my favorites)
- 1 capsule activated charcoal (buy HERE), or about 1/4 teaspoon activated charcoal powder (buy HERE)
For more powerful natural teeth whitening, try adding these essential oils:
- 3 drops lemon oil (where to buy essential oils online)
- 3 drops chamomile oil (where to buy essential oils online)
- If you’re using activated charcoal in capsules, open one capsule and empty the contents into the oil. Stir ingredients together in a small bowl or cup (watch out–the activated charcoal can get a bit messy, but it washes off easily).
- Swish the oil in your mouth for about 10-20 minutes.
- Spit out the oil (in the sink, toilet, or trashcan–it’s pretty black and icky, so the trash might be the best place for it).
- Brush teeth and rinse well with warm water.
- Repeat a few times per week until teeth are pearly white. Then swish 1-2 times per week to prevent stains from returning.
Want to learn more about essential oils and how to use them? Join my essential oil Facebook group HERE.
Enjoy this post? You might also want to read these:
- Got Plaque? Want to Detox? Try Oil Pulling!
- 12 Natural Toothpaste Alternatives
- Homemade Tooth Powder with Activated Charcoal
- Oil Pulling Benefits
- Oil Pulling with Activated Charcoal for Whitening
- Does Oil Pulling Work?
- Loaded with Fresh Strawberries? 40+ Healthy Strawberry Recipes - April 3, 2018
- DIY Coffee Body Scrub for Luscious Legs - March 27, 2018
- Desert Mist Diffuser Giveaway! (Retail Value $83.88) - March 20, 2018
- Boost Your Energy + Mood w/ 3 Cococeps Recipes (Chocolate-Reishi-Cordyceps) - March 8, 2018
- How to Make Calendula Oil at Home + 12 Uses and Remedies - February 26, 2018