Black oil for white teeth? Nope, I’m not kidding! This DIY recipe is perfect for natural teeth whitening. It combines the power of oil pulling with the stain-removing properties of activated charcoal and brightening essential oils for natural, pearly whites.
My Natural Teeth Whitening Story
I used to be obsessed with teeth whitening. I used the gel, the toothpaste, the strips–all of it. My gums would burn, only half my teeth would get whitened, and it was such a pain I’d only subject myself to the obsession every few months.
Over a couple of years, I learned more about natural dental care, and slowly let go of my unhealthy obsession with freaky white teeth. And oil pulling quickly became on of my favorite natural ways to take care of my teeth and gums (read more about oil pulling HERE).
Oil pulling itself leaves my teeth feeling just about as clean as when I walk out of the dentist’s office (sans the sore gums), but I found the stain-lifting power of oil pulling alone to be a little… unexceptional.
Next is where charcoal teeth whitening comes in. Activated charcoal, on the other hand, absorbs everything in sight–including pesky stains from drinking my morning coffee, eating fresh blueberries, and all that good stuff.
I’ve tried brushing my teeth with it, but it tends to get pretty messy and the results are understated because I’m only brushing with it for a minute or two.
Combining oil pulling with activated charcoal is the winning method for me. Add in a couple of brightening essential oils, and this former-tooth-whitening-maniac is more than pleased.
I swish my black oil about 3-4 times per week, and I love the results! This method leaves teeth a natural, pretty white (not freaky Hollywood white!). What I really like is that all my teeth get some natural whitening–not just the front teeth or just part of each tooth. Plus my gums are a healthy pink, and I don’t have a problem with plaque build up.
Best of all, this is one of the teeth whitening home remedies that works for sensitive teeth. Instead of hurting my teeth and gums every time I whiten, I feel like I’m actually improving the health of my mouth while getting whiter teeth! It’s a win-win.
Homemade Teeth Whitening Oil with Charcoal
What You’ll Need:
- 1 tablespoon oil (sesame or coconut oil are my favorites)
- 1 capsule activated charcoal (buy HERE), or about 1/4 teaspoon activated charcoal powder (buy HERE)
For more powerful natural teeth whitening, try adding these essential oils:
- 1 drop lemon oil (where to buy essential oils online)
- 1 drop chamomile oil (where to buy essential oils online)
- If you’re using activated charcoal in capsules, open one capsule and empty the contents into the oil. Stir ingredients together in a small bowl or cup (watch out–the activated charcoal can get a bit messy, but it washes off easily).
- Swish the oil in your mouth for about 10-20 minutes.
- Spit out the oil (in the sink, toilet, or trashcan–it’s pretty black and icky, so the trash might be the best place for it).
- Brush teeth and rinse well with warm water.
- Repeat a few times per week until teeth are pearly white. Then swish 1-2 times per week to prevent stains from returning.
Tips for this homemade teeth whitening recipe:
- You can make a batch ahead of time if you plan to use this every day for 1-2 weeks. It will likely stay fresh longer than 2 weeks, but just to be safe, try to use it within that timeframe.
- If you have trouble swishing this charcoal teeth whitening oil for a full 10+ minutes, try just 3-5 minutes at first. It really does become easier to do the more you do it. You can slowly build up to 10 or more minutes.
- If you’re using coconut oil, it’s probably best to spit it out in the trash can to avoid the chance that it will cool and harden in the plumbing pipes.
- If you have bonding work, caps or veneers, this method might not be right for you. I’ve heard a few stories about it staining dental work. It doesn’t stain natural teeth, though.
Like this charcoal teeth whitening recipe?
Here’s a charcoal toothpaste recipe you can also use to boost your results. You can also check out more natural dental care recipes below:
- Got Plaque? Want to Detox? Try Oil Pulling!
- 12 Natural Toothpaste Alternatives
- Homemade Mouthwash Recipe for Remineralization
Elizabeth is the founder and creative director at The Nourished Life. Her mission is to help people find a more balanced (less stressful!) approach to living a happy, healthy life. Read more about Elizabeth here.