This homemade onion soup mix recipe is made with just a handful of simple ingredients, most of which are probably already in your pantry. Now you can enjoy all the flavor of a typical onion soup mix without all the unrecognizable additives. I’ve included recipes for using your onion soup mix as well.
Onion soup mix is a pantry staple for me. With just one packet of my onion soup mix recipe, I can make a delicious meal out of pork chops or either a pork or beef roast. It’s also my secret ingredient in my easy and delicious meatloaf recipe.
Why I made this Onion Soup Mix Recipe…
The first time I read the ingredients on a pack of onion soup mix from the store, I knew that I had to find a way to make it myself. The store brand had corn starch, sugar, artificial colors, corn syrup, and a few things I couldn’t pronounce. Some store brands of onion soup mix also have MSG in them, which gives both me and my son migraines.
I didn’t want any questionable ingredients in my food, so I make my own onion soup mix recipe now. It also saves me money on my grocery bill, making it well worth my time.
The spices and herbs that I use in this copycat onion soup mix recipe are items that I always have in my kitchen pantry. I make most of my dry mixes, like chili seasoning and ranch dressing mix. I grow many of my herbs, but the rest of the herbs are bought in bulk from a local bulk food store. I think it’s important to get the best spices and herbs that you can find because they make such a big difference in your final recipe.
Another perk to making your own mixes is that you can make them to suit your dietary needs. Beef stock granules are high in sodium, and so are the store bought packets of onion soup mix. You can find low sodium beef granules at most supermarkets.
If you follow a gluten free diet, this is a great substitute for store-bought onion soup mixes, since one of the name brands of onion soup mixes can have gluten in it. Just make sure that you get gluten free beef granules.
Onion Soup Mix Recipe
- Mix all ingredients together. You can double, triple, or even quadruple the recipe if you want.
- Use immediately in your recipe or store in an airtight container until you need it.
RECIPES WITH ONION SOUP MIX
- Combine onion soup mix and a can of cream of mushroom soup or my cream of anything soup mix. Add one cup water and pour over a beef roast.
- When I made a pork roast, I pour the onion soup mix over the roast and add a cup of water before I cook it.
- To make meatloaf, combine 2 pounds of ground beef, 3/4 cups rice, 1/4 cup onion soup mix, 2 eggs, 3/4 cup milk or water, and 1/3 cup ketchup. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour.
- Make a quick and easy onion dip by mixing a 16 ounce container of sour cream with 1/4 cup of soup mix. This is really good with veggies and on cooked potatoes.
MORE RECIPES & KITCHEN TIPS:
- Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe with Turmeric
- Old Fashioned Mac and Cheese Recipe
- The Healthiest Cooking Pans: Safe Cookware vs. Toxic Cookware
- 10 Ways You Can Use Lemon Juice Instead of Toxic Chemicals
- 10 Reasons Why I Love Butter
LOVE THIS POST? PIN IT BELOW!
Cari Dunn is homesteading on an 11.5 acre farm with her husband, three kids, 5 goats, and flock of chickens. She currently blogs at Everything Pretty where she features health and beauty tips along with DIY beauty recipes.