Homemade moisturizer should be a lot of things, but one thing it shouldn’t be is complicated!
I like my homemade moisturizer to be completely natural and totally simple. It should also nourish my skin deeply, healing damage caused by everyday life–and if at all possible, providing a little defense against breakouts (of course!).
This recipe meets all those requirements and more, and I absolutely love how it makes my skin feel.
Homemade Moisturizer: Essential Oils
Essential oils do smell amazing, but they aren’t just in this recipe to make my homemade moisturizer smell nice. Essential oils are potent plant extracts that can have incredible medicinal properties.
Here’s the oils I chose for this recipe and why:
Orange: Orange oil is excellent for oily skin. High in the antioxidant limonene.
Lavender: Lavender is very soothing and comforting to the skin.
Melrose Blend: This special blend contains two types of melaleuca (tea tree), rosemary and clove oils–these oils support clear, healthy skin.
Ylang-Ylang: Excellent for aging skin. It’s soothing and balancing for all skin types, whether your skin tends to be dry or oily (or like mine, a little of both!).
Of course, when it comes to essential oils, quality does matter! I only buy from a source I really trust. Learn more where I get my essential oils HERE.
Homemade Moisturizer Recipe
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (order HERE)
- 12 drops orange essential oil
- 12 drops lavender essential oil
- 12 drops Melrose essential oil blend
- 8 drops ylang-ylang essential oil
Learn more about the essential oils I recommend HERE.
1. Add coconut oil to a small glass storage container–I use these small mason jars HERE to store my face cream recipes. (If you have another favorite facial oil besides coconut oil, you can use that instead.)
2. Add essential oils and stir until well blended.
3. Use a tiny amount on face in the mornings and evenings (a little goes a looooong way–think about half a pea-sized amount or even less).
*Note about photosensitive oils:
Citrus oils like orange oil can cause the skin to become more sensitive to the sun, so you might want to be cautious wearing this oil right before going out in the sun.
I personally haven’t had an issue with it, but it’s something to consider, especially if you have sensitive skin.
More Nourishing Homemade Skincare Products:
- DIY Matcha Body Butter Recipe
- Foot Scrub Cubes with Menthol Crystals
- Natural Conditioning Hair Mask Recipe
LOVE THIS POST? PIN IT BELOW!