This homemade face powder is dirt cheap
I love makeup shopping, I really do. But I draw the line when someone wants me to buy a teeny tiny jar of translucent powder for $20.
Not when I can make it myself.
For 61 cents.
And yes, you read that correctly. Because this recipe only requires one inexpensive ingredient, you can make your own homemade face powder for a small fraction of the cost of buying it anywhere else.
If you have oily skin, then you know a good translucent powder is a must, especially when the weather is warm. It’s also perfect for setting makeup, and even for dusting under the arms (and other, ahem, sweaty places).
Clean, Natural Ingredients
For something so simple as a translucent powder, store-bought versions can have some scary ingredients. I just want oil control, not polyisobutene or barium sulfate. Thanks… but no thanks.
Talc was a common ingredient for absorbent powders in the past, but health risks are making folks think twice about using this as a face powder (or baby powder for that matter).
I choose my ingredients carefully — sometimes it’s easier said than done. But this is one of those times it was effortless. I already keep arrowroot powder in my kitchen as a thickening agent. And I keep my essential oils on hand for DIY recipes and diffusing. So I actually did zero shopping for this recipe! I chose lavender and copaiba essential oils because they are both very soothing, calming, and restorative to the skin.
I admit, my arrowroot powder is slightly more coarse in texture than my standard store-bought translucent powder. However, it’s totally workable.
Like any powder, use just a little and tap the end of your brush on the counter first (upside down) — this helps you apply it evenly, so you don’t end up with a bunch of powder in one spot on your face. Layer if necessary, but a little goes a long way. It’s always better to start with less and add more. if needed.
Homemade Face Powder Recipe
- 1/4 cup organic arrowroot powder
- 2 drops lavender essential oil (optional)
- 2 drops copaiba essential oil (optional)
Get the essential oils I trust and use daily HERE.
- In a small bowl, add arrowroot powder.
- Add essential oils and whisk gently until combined.
- Carefully pour into a loose powder jar.
- Store any extra in a small storage bowl to use later.
Where to Get Your Supplies:
Like this post? Pin it below!
- How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix (Gluten-Free + w/ Turmeric!) - February 20, 2018
- Daily Recommended Protein: How many grams do you really need per day? - February 14, 2018
- Stress Away Essential Oil Giveaway! ($40.13 Retail Value) - February 13, 2018
- I stopped dieting 6 years ago and this happened… - February 11, 2018
- 16 Eye-Opening Famous Quotes About Stress - February 3, 2018