Our wedding anniversay is in May, so I guess it’s entirely appropriate that this month I’m dedicating a whole post to homemade wedding cake recipes. I’ll admit, back when I got married, the idea of a DIY wedding cake seemed… well, too scary for me to try. But we’ve had a sort of DIY revolution. We’re looking for simple wedding cake ideas and rustic wedding cakes – gluten-free, paleo, vegan, or low-carb cakes. It seems only right that homemade wedding cake recipes are taken much more seriously now.
24 Healthy Homemade Wedding Cake Recipes
(Not all of these cakes were intended as wedding cakes – some were originally birthday cakes or just-because cakes. However, we specifically hunted down gorgeous, healthy recipes to include in our homemade wedding cake recipes post, and every cake included in our list would make a downright beautiful piece for your wedding celebration.)
1. Buttermilk Cake with Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting from The Organic Kitchen
For a celebration on the farm, one of the best simple wedding cake ideas is old-fashioned buttermilk cake. Deliciously balanced with sweet and slightly tart flavors, this cake is simple but sure to please.
2. Naked Cake with Mascarpone Cream and Crushed Strawberries from Vikalinka
This rustic wedding cake recipe combines mascarpone and strawberries for a light, just-sweet-enough cake. Fresh flowers on top make it perfectly gorgeous.
3. Coconut Eton Mess Cake with Whipped Ricotta Cream from Half Baked Harvest
Let’s face it – life is messy and so is marriage, and what better to illustrate just how sweet that mess can be than with this Coconut Eton Mess cake. I adore the fresh violets mixed in with the fruit topping. Sometimes the beauty really is in the mess.
4. Gluten Free Strawberries and Cream Cake from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
When one wants a DIY wedding cake that’s gluten-free – one shouldn’t fear that’s too much to ask. This strawberries and cream cake fits the bill and won’t disappoint.
5. Lemon Cake with Honeyed Raspberry Cream Frosting from Nourished Kitchen
Show off your icing skills (without being overly adventurous) and wow the wedding guests with this beautiful lemon cake. Lemon, honey, and raspberries make the perfect rustic wedding cake that’s almost too gorgeous to eat.
6. Paleo Chocolate Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache Frosting from Tasty Yummies
This chocolate paleo masterpiece just had to be included in our homemade wedding cake recipes collection. It’s drowning in chocolate awesomeness – but will also be allergy-friendly for your guests.
7. Gluten-Free and Sugar-Free Cake with Raspberry Filling from Low Carb Maven
A low-carb ? Ten years ago, this may have been too much to ask. But this is what DIY wedding cakes are all about, right? Customize your experience and don’t miss out on an ounce of flavor.
8. Gluten-Free Pineapple Coconut Cake with Passionfruit Curd from The Brick Kitchen
This little number puts a tropical spin on the rustic wedding cake theme. The passionfruit curd is absolute perfection.
9. Grain-Free Maple Pistachio Layer Cake from Plated with Style
Grain-free wedding cake gets an upgrade with pistachios and lots of yummy layers. It’s the 21st century and we can have our grain-free wedding cake and eat it, too.
10. No-Bake Paleo Blackberry Coconut Layer Cake from Unconventional Baker
I love the purple hues peeking out of this homemade wedding cake recipe. It’s a perfect way to pop some pretty color into your wedding. Bonus? It’s no-bake and paleo!
11. Amazing Paleo Chocolate Cake from Downshiftology
Simple. Beautiful. Chocolate. I don’t know why there aren’t more chocolate wedding cake recipes. Chocolate is love. It’s happiness. It’s passion. Everything you want to celebrate in a new marriage!
12. Veggie-Filled Gluten-Free and Vegan Cake from Nirvana Cakery
Lovely purple shades come to life in this vegan, gluten-free rustic wedding cake recipe. Show your guests that vegan cake can be done deliciously!
13. Almond Layer Cake with Peach & Mascarpone Filling & Raspberry Buttercream from Butterlust
I’m a little partial to this wedding cake recipe because I LOVE peaches, raspberries, almonds, and mascarpone. Perhaps I’ll make this little number for my birthday instead…
14. White Chocolate Spiced Cake with Rosewater Cream Cheese and Pistachios from Constellation Inspiration
Simple, rustic wedding cake recipes don’t get much better than this. Perfectly blended flavors of rose, white chocolate, spices, and pistachios will have your guests begging for the recipe.
15. Vegan Earl Grey Lemon Cake with Purple Potato and White Chocolate Frosting from Salvia +Limone
No one will guess that this violet-colored cake is vegan and colored with purple potatoes! But if you’re looking for wedding cake recipes that will wow your guests – this is the one for you.
16. Vegan and Gluten Free Vanilla Cake with Strawberry Buttercream from Wife Mama Foodie
Food allergies do NOT have to interfere with your wedding. This gorgeous wedding cake is gluten-free and vegan, so you’re free to enjoy every single bite. (This is exactly why homemade wedding cake recipes are becoming more and more popular!)
17. Vegan and Gluten Free Raspberry Matcha Cake from Nirvana Cakery
Trendy matcha meets delicious raspberries in another vegan and gluten-free recipe. Top with fresh flowers to complete the rustic wedding cake vibe.
18. Low-Carb and Gluten Free Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Pudding from Low Carb Maven
This low-carb cake will knock your socks off. It’s unbelievably moist and layered with creamy vanilla pudding. But it’s still beautiful enough to make this list of wedding cake recipes.
19. Gluten Free Caramel Cake with Salted Caramel Italian Meringue Buttercream from Of Batter & Dough
Caramel is making a comeback and this DIY wedding cake lets it shine. And this delicious, Italian-inspired recipe has the added bonus of being gluten-free.
20. Gluten Free Strawberry and Apricot Cake with Mascarpone Cream from Oh Honey Bakes
Rustic wedding cake heaven is upon us with this strawberry, apricot cake. Also gluten-free, this wedding cake recipe looks almost too pretty to eat when you top it with leftover sliced fruit and a few fresh roses.
21. Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownie Cake from Flour Covered Apron
Show how sweet love can be with this chocolate chip cookie dough brownie wedding cake recipe. Yes, it’s a mouthful to say, but an even better mouthful to eat.
22. Flourless Blender Chocolate Quinoa Cake from Choosing Chia
Go flourless and don’t look back. Who said wedding cake recipes have to be full of gluten? This quinoa cake will change everyone’s mind about conventional recipes.
23. Paleo Lemon Blueberry Layer Cake from Fed and Fulfilled
Lemon and blueberry were made for each other – just like the newly married couple. This DIY wedding cake is paleo and fits the rustic vibe for a country wedding.
24. Vegan and Gluten Free Apple Cake with Macadamia Frosting and Salted Caramel from Nirvana Cakery
I can’t even with this combo of apples, macadamia nuts, and salted caramel. If you want a DIY wedding cake that’s as unique as the happy couple, this is the perfect match.
More of our recipe collections to enjoy:
- 40+ Healthy Strawberry Recipes
- 100+ Instant Pot Recipes for Every Meal
- 83 Healthy DIY Popsicle Recipes
- 75+ Avocado Recipes (Even Dessert!)
Want to share these healthy wedding cake recipes? Pin this post below!
Elizabeth is the founder of The Nourished Life and has been writing about natural living for 12 years. Her work has been featured at Shape, Bustle, and Mother Earth Living. Her mission is to help you lower your stress levels and find fun ways to become happier and healthier. Read more about Elizabeth here.