Do you want to pay $76 for an eyelash growth serum? If so, you’re totally in the wrong place — because I’m going to show you how to make your own DIY eyelash growth serum recipe for just about $2 (including the cost of the mascara tube!). Sound like fun? Let’s do this.
Why I Picked These Eyelash Growth Serum Ingredients
Castor Oil: Literally like food for your lashes. Castor oil is full of nourishing fatty acids like ricinoleic acid that moisturize and protect your lashes.
Think about it — we’re always moisturizing our hair and skin, which can get dried out from the weather, washing with soap, etc. But our poor lashes get left out!
And on top of that, mascara and eye makeup can dry lashes out even more. Dry lashes get tangled and damaged and tend to fall out more easily. The best way to prevent this is to moisturize them!
Lavender and Cedarwood Essential Oils:
Both lavender and cedarwood oils are well known for supporting healthy hair follicles and lash growth. They are also both very calming and soothing oils, perfect for dry or sensitive skin!
Note: Do not get in your eyes!
Essential oils are awesome, but they aren’t meant to go in your eyes. Seriously. So as a precaution, just make sure you don’t get any in your eyes — using a thin layer helps.
This eyelash growth serum recipe is already diluted, but it still may sting a bit if it goes IN the eyes. If that happens — DO NOT WASH WITH WATER.
Get a little more oil (castor, coconut, sweet almond, any vegetable oil will work), and massage it over your eyes to clean it out. Then wipe excess oil away with warm water.
How long until you notice results?
Since it takes time to nourish and restore healthy lashes, you need to use your serum consistently for 1-3 months to see a difference.
DIY Eyelash Growth Serum
- castor oil
- lavender essential oil
- cedarwood essential oil
- First, open the bottle take out the mascara wand. There will be a little plastic insert thingy you’ll want to take out, too (what is the technical name for that thing??). Trust me, you will regret it if you don’t (yes, I spilled castor oil all over my bathroom counter just to make sure you don’t have to).
- Fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full with castor oil. If you use the bottles I recommended above, that will be just over 1/2 teaspoon of castor oil. It doesn’t take much!
- Add 1 drop of lavender essential oil and 1 drop of cedarwood essential oil.
- Replace plastic insert thingy, put the wand in the bottle, and close it tight. Shake gently to mix ingredients.
- Apply a thin layer nightly before bed to give your lashes some love! This recipe is shelf stable for a looooong time. Let’s just say 6 months to be safe. But that’s definitely erring on the safe side.
- I use these empty mascara bottles because it makes applying this serum SO much easier. They are honestly the most expensive thing about this recipe — and they are pretty cheap! 😉
- These are my favorite essential oils — I’ve been used them for almost 6 years now and they are AMAZING. 🙂
Will you be trying this DIY Eyelash Growth Serum recipe? Tell me in the comments below!
You can also check out these Natural Living Articles:
Elizabeth is the founder of The Nourished Life and has been writing about natural living for 12 years. Her work has been featured at Shape, Bustle, and Mother Earth Living. Her mission is to help you lower your stress levels and find fun ways to become happier and healthier. Read more about Elizabeth here.