Ginger is full of spice and flavor and warmth–and I love using it in my cooking–but the health benefits of ginger go far beyond flavor! When I started looking at research that studied the benefits of ginger, I was floored by how many health problems this simple root can relieve. Here’s what I found out…
9 Health Benefits of Ginger that Might Surprise You
1. Relieves Asthma Symptoms
Researchers at Columbia University found that ginger compounds may have properties that help those with asthma breathe more easily.
2. Menstrual Cramp Remedy
Ginger has been shown to reduce pain during menstruation as well as OTC medications like ibuprofen.
3. Prevent Morning Sickness During Pregnancy
Women who experience nausea and upset stomach during pregnancy may find relief with ginger.
4. Arthritis and Joint Pain Relief
Those with joint pain and arthritis can experience pain relief by using ginger, most likely due to its natural anti-inflammatory properties.
5. Protect Against Cancer
Preliminary studies suggest that ginger may be a powerful tool for fighting prostate cancer, colon cancer, and breast cancer.
6. Improve Blood Sugar Regulation
Ginger has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity, which can help you manage your blood sugar levels.
7. Motion Sickness and Seasickness
Some studies have shown benefits of taking ginger to relieve motion sickness and seasickness. It seems to work better for some than others, but it’s worth a try!
8. Relieve Sore Muscles After Exercise
If that new workout left your body so sore you feel like you can’t move, try some ginger! Some research suggests that ginger can help relieve muscle pain commonly experienced in the days after a hard workout.
9. Migraine Headache Remedy
Ginger has been shown to relieve the pain of migraine headaches without the nasty side effects of prescription drugs.
Tips for Getting the Health Benefits of Ginger
To take advantage of these benefits of ginger, you can try these methods:
- Grind a little fresh ginger root daily and take it in a small glass of water.
- If you use a juicer, juice a small amount of fresh ginger into your daily juice recipe.
- Drink a warm cup of ginger root tea with raw honey and fresh lemon juice daily.
- Add organic ginger spice to your recipes.
- Treat yourself to some candied ginger every day.
More posts like this:
- 21 Home Remedies that WORK for Headaches (and Even Migraines!)
- The Number One Ingredient to Avoid
- Want to Stop Anxiety? You Need to Do This First
- Homemade Cough Syrup Recipe
LOVE THIS POST? PIN IT BELOW!
Sources for this post include:
Elizabeth is the founder of The Nourished Life and has been writing about natural living for 12 years. Her work has been featured at Shape, Bustle, and Mother Earth Living. Her mission is to help you lower your stress levels and find fun ways to become happier and healthier. Read more about Elizabeth here.